How to Repair a Fishing Rod | A Step-by-step Guide
There are so many hobbies which people want to adopt to spend their spare time. Fishing is one of the hobbies which many people adopt to fulfill this purpose. Fishing rod is a very important tool for fishing a fish. Sometimes it is broken by its regular use, but with some care and using knowledge you can restore the fishing rod. It is very easy job if you take interest in doing this.
- The things should have with you are.
- Thread for rod winding.
- The old rod which is out of use of same size.
- Water based flex coat, acrylic emulsion.
You should have enough time to do this task, if you want to restore the fishing rod seriously. The result will not be according to your expectation, when you are epoxying the broken rod, so give it good time for its work properly.
You should follow these steps carefully.
INDICATION OF DAMAGES IN FISHING ROD.
- You should gather everything, when you decided to start the task.
- Find out the breakage place in the rod and plan about it.
- First of all you should know what is blank in the fishing rod, so it is the long flexible pole of it, and the base of fishing rod.
- If the damage is on the blank of fishing rod, not near the guides, the procedure to restore it will be very easy then.
- Now find the type of break in it.
- If the break is scattered, then it will need a long insert, be careful while application of epoxy.
- On the other hand, if the break is smooth, no need of long insert in it and a pressure on the blank.
PREPARATION OF INSERT.
- First of all measure the broken pieces of fishing rod.
- If you are using the old rod to restore the broken one, determine the length of insert you need.
- On the broken rod the insert should be 6 inches long, on the both sides.
- Broken parts of the rod should be polished with sand paper until becomes smooth and for the exact measurement.
- The broken parts should be gathered together, measure 6 inches, and determine the length of insert.
- If the two pieces do fix in each, due to the large length of inserting rod, be careful.
- Length of blank to be insert should be small.
- Size of the blank piece should be increased if the piece of insert move.
APPLICATION OF EPOXY ON TWO PIECES.
- When every thing is correct, apply the epoxy on two pieces.
- Apply the epoxy on the insert softly and slide on the broken rod.
- Push the covers on the whole broken place, the half of the broken part should be slided on the insert.
- Should be flushed with the lower piece.
- Excess epoxy should be cleaned up from the break, place it in vertical direction.
- Give enough time to the epoxy to set.
- Do not move the rod for at least two hours.
WRAP UP THE AREA.
- With the help of rod thread, wrap the area you want.
- Wrapping should be tight to the full extent; it should be four inches away from the break on the both sides.
- Threads are available in various sizes and ranges from A to E.
APPLICATION OF FLEXCOAT.
- Now apply the flexcoat, when you have wrapped the rod.
- Continue turning it after application of Flex coat, for few minutes.
- Now its condition is as the new one and you can use it in water without any hesitation.
REPAIR OF HANDLE.
- Repairing of handle of fishing rod is very simple.
- If the handle is made of cork, polish it with sand paper so that it will become smooth and drilling can be done easily for making a hole in every section.
- In the cork fix a piece of wood in it, with the help of hot glue.
- In the blank side of the handle, insert it.
- By leaving the eighth inch open, slide it over the new section.
- For making the good seal, apply the glue on the two pieces.
- Clean the excess glue so that it can set for 2 to 3 hours before you use it.
- If excess amount is there, polish it with sand paper.
REPAIRING THE TIP OF FISHING ROD.
- If the tip of fishing rod is broken, build an insert in blank of the rod.
- Apply the glue on it by using ferrule.
- It is used to join the two broken pieces together, like a bandage.
- Sand the edge, clean it, and cut the tip with scissors or clipper.
- It should sit against the new tip.
- At the ferrule of the new tip, apply the glue and at the break part slide it over it.
- By doing this the best seal will be formed and you can clean the excess amount.
- Place the rod in vertical direction, hold these two pieces until the glue is settled.
- It should dry properly.
- Sand it when it dries completely.
REPAIR OF GUIDE OF FISHING ROD.
- The guides are the essential part of the fishing rod.
- They are helpful in smooth pulling, cast properly, and without any hindrance.
- If your only one guide is missing, it can cause you the great difficulty, and you can lose your fish easily.
- It’s a very simple procedure to handle.
- The guides can be repaired by applying the epoxy.
- The broken part of guide is to be heated with some source to break the seal.
- When it is hot enough, it will break away from the blank.
- Wrap the thread on the guide and insert the new in the blank.
So, now, you must be in a position to repair your fishing rod if it breaks down. This is one of the best ways to save on your money and time to do things for yourself. It also gives you a sense of achievement and self-sufficiency.